- Op-ed: Mentorship in schools fosters a community of learning
January 2019, The Spokesman Review
This opinion piece co-authored by a teacher and a student highlights both perspectives about the power of mentoring in Summit Learning.
- A Fresno student with dyslexia learns the most valuable lesson
November 2018, Fresno Bee
In this high school student op-ed, former Aspen Valley Prep student Madison Vidrio shares how Summit Learning helped her overcome her dyslexia and transformed how she views school.
- Pacesetter in Personalized Learning
June 2017, EdNext
This in-depth article uses examples of Summit Learning projects to illustrate how Summit Learning can transform the classroom experience for students and teachers.
- Focus on students
January 2019, The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette
A teacher's story of how Summit Learning is helping her challenge her students with an essay project--and how they're rising to the challenge.
- Letters: Other views on school culture, Enbridge
January 2019, The Detroit News
Check out this letter to the editor from an 8th grade Summit Learning student about how having a mentor has helped him improve his habits - and his grades.
- As a mentor and teacher, I make the middle school transition easier for my students
January 2019, The Herald-Standard
During National Mentoring Month, this op-ed by a Summit Learning teacher in Pennsylvania focuses on how mentoring has had a positive impact on her students.
- Study: Culture, relationships key to stopping school shootings
January 2019, The Greeley Tribune
This article from a Summit Learning school in Colorado shows how building relationships--including through mentoring--can make schools safer.
- Commentary: Mentoring Can Be a Powerful Force in Kids' Lives. Here Are 3 Ways Mentorships Benefit Students — and 3 Benefits for Teachers
January 2019, The 74
Summit Learning shares our own perspective on mentoring and its importance in helping both teachers and students.
- Letter: How We Achieve Student Success
January 2019, Education Week
Summit Learning Chief Program Officer Andrew Goldin shares his vision for student success in personalized learning in this EdWeek Letter to the Editor.
- Woodland Park Middle School inspires learning, growth via integrated, goal-setting platform
January 2019, Pikes Peak Courier
Reports on the impact of Summit Learning at WPMS, including that Summit students' "achievement [is] higher, their growth is higher, and their discipline is (better)."
- Op-ed: Her teenage daughter found success with new learning system at FHS
December 2018, The State Journal
This parent perspective highlights how her daughter has "become more independent, able to prioritize between school work and other activities and manage her time" with Summit Learning.
- Op-ed: School doing something new, and it's working
December 2018, The Jackson Sun
This is another parent's take on the high-quality rollout of Summit Learning at her son's school and the positive impact she has seen as her son is becoming "a confident, self-motivated student who's excited to reach his academic goals" and "learning skills that will carry with him well beyond high school."
- Seventh-graders use new learning platform
December 2018, NWestIowa.com
Read on to hear more about the introduction of Summit Learning and how teachers are seeing their students gain valuable skills such as goal setting, time management and prioritizing tasks.
- Access granted
December 2018, Oklahoma Gazette
This article is a spotlight on Summit Learning in Oklahoma City Public Schools, including a quote from a teacher: "I can't believe the growth I have seen through this program. I think students enjoy learning more with this program."
- Schools don't have to reinvent the wheel
December 2018, Hechinger Report
This article highlights several new models for learning that teachers can use in their own schools.
- Teachers Praise Summit Learning
December 2018, PR NewsWire
This collection of teacher perspectives highlight quantitative and qualitative successes that educators across the country have seen since introducing Summit Learning in their classrooms.
- Launching the Kansas Moonshot: How Kansas schools are redesigning K-12 education: Part 2, The Wellington school district
December 2018, Tech Learning
Learn more about the redesign initiative in Kansas and how schools are changing based on the needs of their specific students and families, instead of the agrarian calendar that has determined school schedules in the past.
- What inspired me to return to teaching after almost 20 years
November 2018, Tri City Herald
Hear from a veteran teacher about what changed her outlook on education - and inspired her to return to the classroom.
- I am a teacher and I believe we need to tailor learning to each student
November 2018, Tennessean
A Summit Learning teacher in Tennessee shares how education is not one-size-fits-all, and now she is finally able to reach all of her students with the personalized instruction they need.
- My turn: Personalized learning reaches students
November 2018, The Providence Journal
In this teacher op-ed, middle school teacher Michael Delsesto shares his classroom experience and the deep relationships he's been able to build with his students.
- Kettle Moraine Middle School offers a 'customizable' learning experience, because not all kids learn the same
November 2018, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
This in-depth article profiles a local school in Wisconsin and follows teachers and students throughout a typical day in a personalized learning classroom.
- Case study: Giving students more personalized choices takes 'great teaching'
November 2018, EdWeek
This EducationWeek case study looks at a school in Providence, Rhode Island and why educators believe it is so important to give students choice and ownership over their own learning.
- Summit Public Schools Year-End Summary 2017-18
October 2018, Summit Public Schools
Learn more about the work of Summit Public Schools and its impact on public education in the annual year-end summary.
- Preparing teachers for personalized learning
July 2018, EdSource
This piece explains how the new Summit Teacher Residency Program works and gives a glimpse into what teachers do in a Summit Learning classroom.
- How personalized learning fosters trial, error and a healthy dose of risk,
July 2018, Getting Smart
In this op-ed, Summit Learning teacher Brandy Holton describes a science experiment in her 6th grade classroom, shares how experiments are different with personalized learning and shares tips for other teachers.
- I'm a principal who thinks personalized learning shouldn’t be a debate
July 2018, Chalkbeat
This excellent op-ed from Summit Learning principal Lisa Epstein describes her school's powerful experience with personalized learning and how it’s driven a more student-centric education experience and more growth and strong relationships in her students.
- For educators and administrators, Summit Learning works
July 2018, eLearning Insider News
This positive article shares enthusiastic anecdotes from Summit Learning teachers and school leaders about the experience they've had with Summit in their classrooms, and why it’s changed the way they teach.
- What I'm going to miss about Summit
June 2018, Prizmah Center for Jewish Day Schools blog
In this post from a Summit Learning school leader, she shares how she has found Summit to be transformative in driving growth, enrichment, and a connectivity to both her curriculum and her students she had never experienced before.
- Teaching award well-deserved
June 2018, Lexington Herald Leader
This Letter to the Editor, coordinated by the Summit Learning Communications team, celebrates a Summit Learning Spotlight teacher for her hard work with her students.
- How do you fix JCPS's achievement gap? Experts weigh in
June 2018, Insider Louisville
Hear from the school leader at Lexington Traditional Magnet School about how mentoring has helped them to reach and impact their incredibly diverse student population.
- Diverse charter schools: Blackstone Valley Prep, intentionally diverse network of strong college prep focus
May 2018, The Century Foundation
In this first-ever analysis about diversity in public charter schools by the Century Foundation, Summit Public Schools is recognized for our intentionally diverse approach to learning. Read more about the importance of pursuing diversity as a design principle for creating successful schools.
- Tulsa school 1 of 16 in state using personalized learning method
May 2018, News on 6
This broadcast clip highlights how Tulsa Memorial Junior High is using Summit Learning to bring personalized learning to its students.
- In appreciation to teacher, mentor
May 2018, Georgetown News-Graphic
Read this great letter from a parent of a student at Royal Spring Middle School in honor of her student's teacher for Teacher Appreciation Week.
- Summit panel tackles definition of personalized learning
May 2018, Education Dive
This article recaps a great session about personalized learning at The Atlantic Education Summit in Washington, with panelists including a Summit Learning teacher from Truesdell who spoke about how Summit benefits her students.
- Parents gather to speak out on Summit Learning program at BOE
April 2018, We Love Dexter
In their second year with the program, Dexter school district saw a strong show of support for Summit Learning from parents, students and teachers at a recent Board meeting.
- Choosing personalized learning as a strategy for educational equity
April 2018, The Hechinger Report
Learn about several examples of personalized learning, including Summit Learning at a school in DC, and how this approach helps teachers reach every student in their classroom.
- Expanding access to powerful learning in Tulsa
April 2018, Education Week
Hear about how schools in Tulsa have adopted Summit Learning to dramatically improve student success in their education system.
- In annual parent letter, Summit Public Schools announces renewed focus on the other school safety issue—data privacy
April 2018, The 74 Million
Read more about a letter from our CEO Diane Tavenner about the importance of student data privacy, and Summit's commitment to the schools we serve.
- A Year At DelSesto: Will A Bet On Computerized Learning Pay Off?
March 2018, Rhode Island Public Radio
This 5-minute radio piece talks about the effectiveness of personalized learning. While it does mischaracterize the role of technology in the classroom, it includes positive voices from students and teachers at Delsesto Middle School in Rhode Island.
- Embraced by low-tuition Jewish schools, 'blended learning' now catching on more widely
March 2018, Jewish Telegraphic Agency
This article profiles several Jewish schools that are using Summit Learning to introduce personalized learning into their classroom.
- EES redesign: Perspective of a teacher and parent
March 2018, McPherson Sentinel
This op-ed in a local paper from a teacher and parent shares a day in the life of a student and rationale for their recent school redesign.
- How my students learned to reach their goals
Feb 2018, Columbus Dispatch
Read this compelling op-ed from a Summit Learning teacher at Highland Middle School about the impact of goal-setting in her classroom.
- Rethinking grade levels and school design for personalized learning
Feb 2018, Hechinger Report
CICS West Belden in Chicago is tackling personalized learning in many ways. This article describes why they offer multi-age classrooms in their elementary school and the success they've seen.
- Gateway students tackle math
Feb 2018, Iron County Today
This short article highlights one middle school math teacher's take on why Summit Learning works for math students.
- School board approves new contract for superintendent
Jan 2018, Frontiersman
This Alaska high school has seen incredible impact with Summit Learning, which has helped to double the graduation rate.
- Personalized learning gives students a sense of control over chaotic lives
Jan 2018, Hechinger Report
This story highlights how one middle school in Colorado reorganized itself into a school of innovation through Summit Learning.
- How do you introduce parents to your learning model? Send them to Bootcamp
Jan 2018, EdSurge
This article contains great tips on how to improve parent engagement and communication.
- Can a 'no excuses' charter teach students to think for themselves?
Jan 2018, the New York Times
This extensive article covers how a Brooklyn school created a new school model based on Summit to improve student behavior, engagement and independence.
- Voices from classroom: I changed my classroom after 20 years because the world has changed
Jan 2018, Northern Kentucky Tribune
Hear from a Summit Learning teacher in Kentucky in this op-ed about how his experience as a veteran teacher has changed with Summit.
- A new way to do high school? Tulsa Public Schools program to explore options
Jan 2018, Tulsa World
Learn more about how schools in Tulsa are transforming education and focusing on personalized learning.
- Analysis: Teaching, Technology, Transformation — 5 Ways to Talk (and Think) About Personalized Learning
December 2017, The 74 Million
In this contributed article, Learning Accelerator CEO Beth Rabbitt shares five essential points about personalized learning to get the conversation started.
- Reader Responds to Personalized Learning Special Report
December 2017, Education Week
Education Post CEO Peter Cunningham addresses common myths about personalized learning and sets the record straight
- More Personal Means More Equitable and Just
December 2017, Medium
This great blog post from CZI Education President Jim Shelton reflects on how personalized learning can make equal opportunity real.
- Most Pregnant and Parenting Students Don't Graduate. Here's How One Rhode Island High School Is Helping Its Teens Beat the Odds
December 2017, The 74 Million
This is an interesting feature about Summit Learning in place in a nontraditional high school in Rhode Island, and how it works so well with the flexible schedule requirements of their students.
- 3 Middle School Projects That Cultivate Skills Needed for Adulthood
November 2017, Education Week
This contributed article provides some great examples of Summit Learning's real-world projects and how they teach students valuable cognitive skills and content knowledge.
- Summit Now Partnering With Over 300 Schools
November 2017, Education Next
This brief article highlights the growth of the Summit Learning Program and its progress so far. The reporter sets up a clear contrast between critiques and Summit's model where "students spend most of their day collaborating on projects, not starting at screens."
- Case studies: Lessons from 3 schools
November 2017, Education Week
Education Week spotlights three schools using different approaches to personalized learning to share the experience for teachers and students. In this article, Fresno's Aspen Valley Prep Academy shares how Summit Learning is impacting their students, giving them more accountability and an ability to set goals for themselves.
- The path to personalized learning is not straight
November 2017, The Hechinger Report
This article recaps a school panel at the recent iNACOL symposium in Florida, where three schools discuss their journey to personalized learning, including CICS West Belden, a charter school in Chicago that has implemented Summit Learning.
- The 'A' word: Dianne Tavenner—'What I really want to know are yes-or-no answers to 3 things'
November 2017, The 74 Million
As part of an ongoing series on Accountability in education, in this Q&A Summit CEO and Founder Dianne Tavenner describes how Summit Learning marries values and data to constantly improve classroom instruction and student outcomes.
- The Summit Learning Program: Developing critical thinking skills in Dexter's students
November 2017, We Love Dexter
Read more about why this Michigan school district is implementing Summit Learning in their classrooms, and how they see their students applying knowledge and using critical thinking through projects and mentoring.
- 3 middle school projects that cultivate skills needed for adulthood
November 2017, Education Week
This contributed article highlights why it is so crucial for classrooms to focus on teaching habits and skills to help students become career-ready, through examples of different Summit Learning projects.
- In Student Hands
October 2017, EdTech Digest
In this op-ed, a Summit teacher shares her experience working with education technology, and how with the right tools, personalized learning has transformed her classroom.
- Summit Learning gives students freedom, teaches responsibility
October 2017, WeAreCentralPA
In this video, hear from Pennysylvania teachers and high school students about their experience using Summit Learning, its "rigorous, but flexible curriculum" and how it's helping them become more self-directed.
- These 3 California school networks are models for new Gates Foundation investments in education
October 2017, LA School Report
This article highlights Summit Public Schools and our success as a great example of the types of education investments that the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation will continue to make to transform education.
- Why did Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg visit Eastern Kentucky on Sunday?
September 2017, Lexington Herald Leader
Learn more about Mark Zuckerberg's recent visit to Eastern Kentucky to see how Kentucky schools are transforming education with Summit Learning.
- Scaling Personalized Learning at Distinctive Schools: Going Slow to Go Fast
September 2017, Education Week
This contributed post from the Executive Director of Personalized Learning at Distinctive Schools, a charter school system in Chicago, shares valuable tips on how to successfully implement and scale personalized learning for educators and students.
- Resilience, Risk-Taking, and Dreaming Big
August 2017, Melinda Gates on Medium
Melinda Gates shares the "eye-opening lesson's" learned from her work with teachers and students over the past several years.
- Park City Learning Center embraces new approach, name
August 2017, Park Record
Learn more about a new Summit Learning school in Park City, Utah and why they chose Summit Learning for their students.
- The Science Behind Summit Public Schools' Model
August 2017, Education Week
This op-ed from Summit's Chief Academic Officer Adam Carter details the learning science and research behind the Summit Learning approach.
- Supporting Educators as Ambassadors for Mastery-based Learning
August 2017, Mastery Communications Week
Hear tips from Caitlyn Herman, head of schools for Summit Public Schools in the Bay Area, about the importance of communications in your school community.
- How it works: A new report explains the research behind a school model
August 2017, The Hechinger Report
Learn more about the launch of the Science of Summit report, the research behind it and how it's relevant for educators everywhere.
- Summit Learning: Empowering Students to Live the Lives They Want to Lead
July 2017, The Path to Higher Ed Podcast
Summit Learning mentor Nicholas Kim explains how the Summit Learning approach helps students learn about the benefits of a growth mindset and college and career readiness.
- Personalized Learning Is a Mindset Not a Prescribed Model
July 2017, Education Week
This profile of two Summit Learning schools in Chicago discusses why they chose personalized learning.
- Together, technology and teachers can revamp schools
July 2017, The Economist
This article showcases several examples of how technology can support teachers in transforming their classrooms.
- Personalized Learning Residency Places Teachers at Summit Public Schools
July 2017, THE Journal
Learn more about Summit's new teacher residency program, a credentialing program built around personalized learning.
- Priscilla Chan is running one of the most ambitious philanthropies in the world
July 2017, Recode
This story provides background on Priscilla Chan and the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative's philosophy on philanthropy and education.
- Not Just Buzzwords: How Teachers Bring Big Ideas, Innovative Practices to Life
July 2017, EdSurge
Read a profile of Summit Learning school Delsesto Middle School, a Rhode Island school with a compelling perspective on personalized learning and technology.