At Summit Learning, we believe it's important that schools, teachers, parents/guardians and students understand how we use and protect their data in service of providing students with an engaging learning experience. We believe that understanding is built through transparency about our practices.
Did you know? Common Sense Privacy Program published privacy evaluations of the top 10 edtech products used in schools and districts across the U.S. Summit Learning came out on top, receiving their highest score. You can read more about this evaluation here.
Core Set of Commitments
Our policies articulate our core commitments to teachers, students, parents/guardians and schools:
- 1Data is used solely for educational purposes.We only use student personal information for educational purposes. There are no exceptions to this.
- 2Data is never for sale.We never sell the personal information of any student or any user.
- 3You own and control your own data.School staff, parents/guardians, teachers and/or students own and control their personal information. Gradient Learning does not own the student personal information used in the Summit Learning program.
- 4We go beyond compliance.We are committed to the Future of Privacy Forum's Student Privacy Pledge and we were among the first signatories of Pledge 2020. In addition to compliance with federal privacy laws like the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), we are also voluntarily committed to the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA). In fact, we scored first among education technology providers in Common Sense Media's privacy evaluations.
- 5We practice privacy by design.Everything we do, from improvements to the Platform to how we train our staff, has privacy and security in mind.
- 6We only work with trusted partners.We rely on service providers to help develop and support the Summit Learning Program, and we require all the service providers who have access to student personal information to comply with strong privacy and security terms.
- 7We're committed to continuous Improvement.Best practices in privacy and security evolve just as technology evolves, and we are committed to working with parents/guardians, schools, vendors, industry leaders, and partners who help us keep learning and evolving in these areas in order to help protect student personal information.
We want you to understand the protections we have in place. Below you'll find our policies effective for the 2020-2021 school year and other supporting resources. You can also find the archives of previous policies in this Help Center article.
- FAQsAnswers to the most commonly asked questions about our protections.
- Program AgreementOur Program agreement with each district or school.
- Data Privacy AddendumA component of the Program Agreement outlining what data is collected, how it is used, and how we protect it.
- Security White PaperA summary of our security practices, detailing how we meet the commitments in the Data Privacy Addendum.
- Partner School Terms of ServiceThe Terms of Service with each district or school that governs the school's use of the Summit Learning Platform.
- User AgreementThe agreement that applies to users of the Summit Learning Platform.